Though there is no historical proof available; it is believed that the church was established around AD 1300. (By Rt. Rev. Gheevarghese Cor Episcopa, Athumkal, in his book “Kuruppampady palliyude Charithram" - page 23). As in the case of many other churches, the experts have difference in opinion about the date of establishment of church and that are, AD 1067, 1150, 1300 and 1355. (Refer the book “Kuruppampady Pally” page 15 written by T. V. Mathews-Thanelimalil)
The got church established with the help of a member of the Kulangara Avathoot Kuruppu’s family who were the prominent chieftain Hindu family of the locality. One of two surviving ladies of the Kuruppu’s family, who was childless, due to the influence of the Christians, undertook that if she bore a child she would build a church in the name of Mother Mary. When she gave birth to a child, she and her child became Christians at the Kanjoor Church. Later, they along with the local Christians and with the help, support and patronage of the Kulangara Avathoot Kuruppu, built the church in the name of Mother Mary. As the church was built at the gateway (pady means gate) of the Kuruppu with their patronage, it called the Kuruppampady church. The earlier families of the church were Puthussery, Edassery, Padayatti and Kulangara.
Initially the church was built in the form of a temple. The jurisdiction of the church roughly covered the area up to Vengoor in the north, Kottapaddy in the east, Keezhillam in the south and up to Valampoor and Perumbavoor in the west. The administration of the church was in the hands of the Palliyogam that consisted of the priest and four trustees belonging to prominent families.